Beware continental

lease car laws

Family going on holiday

WITH the hectic and, in many ways confusing lead-up to Brexit a number of drivers have contacted me to ask if continental police will be cracking down on British drivers abroad.

The answer of course is no, but it is best to be prepared as many are still not aware of some tight rules and regulations that apply across the Channel.

This is a worrying fact because half of drivers in a recent survey admitted they had been penalised for at least one traffic offence whilst travelling abroad.

Many are also unaware of the valid registration documents needed to take a company or leased car on to the continent.

Not only are there the standard rules and regulations on driving abroad, but drivers of leased vehicles must notify their leasing company, as the owners of the vehicle, prior to travel to obtain a Vehicle on Hire (VE103) certificate - in lieu of a vehicle registration certificate (V5C) - and a letter giving written permission needed to drive their car overseas.

With the increasing popularity among individuals of acquiring cars under Personal Contract Purchase (PCP) LeasePlan UK, part of the world's largest fleet and vehicle management company, predicts thousands of British motorists could be driving abroad, unaware of the rules and regulations that apply.

Lesley Slater, operations and business development director for LeasePlan UK, said: "Last year we took 6,817 calls from our customers requesting permission to take their vehicles overseas.

"On average, 4.2 million Britons travel to Europe each year and with the growing popularity of leasing in the UK, we believe thousands of motorists could be falling foul of European legislation when driving across the Channel this year.

"We urge drivers who lease their car to contact their vehicle management company prior to travel, so the VE103 form can be processed and sent to the driver in time for the off, to avoid stiff financial penalties or even imprisonment.

"It's also worth calling your breakdown provider to ensure you have European breakdown cover, otherwise a repatriation of a vehicle can end up costing more than the holiday itself."

Speaking about the importance of motorists having the correct overseas car insurance, Stuart Thomas, head of fleet services at the AA, added: "With so many people taking their cars abroad now, it is essential to ensure that you have the right cover for your trip.

"This means checking both the vehicle being covered and the countries to which your policy applies. The last thing you want on your adventure is to be stuck by the side of the road or facing an unplanned recovery bill - because anything can happen.

"If in doubt, give your breakdown provider a call in advance of the trip and they will usually be able to get your details checked and amended within a matter of minutes. It is also important to notify them if you are planning to take a trailer or caravan with you, as most policies will not cover this as a default.

"You don't want the recovery driver to unhitch your caravan and all of your holiday possessions because you forgot to add it on to the breakdown cover."

The keywords that must apply are 'be prepared' before you travel.


ANY car made by Lotus is a driver's delight - a machine that puts you at one...

Read more View article

YOU get the feeling Mitsubishi really doesn't want you to think the latest...

Read more View article

WHEN is an estate not an estate? When it's a Kia ProCeed it would seem.The...

Read more View article