By Mike Torpey on 2017-08-23 - Driving Force news editor and responsible for organising our daily output. He was staff motoring editor of the Liverpool Echo for 20 years.
Golden oldies get
kicks on Route 66
THE route from Lochgilphead to the Glencoe Mountains in Scotland has been named the UK's most retirement-friendly road.
Voted for by drivers who are retired, the 66-mile journey - which takes in stretches of the A816 and the A828 - has now been transformed into the UK's own ‘Route 66'.
Insurer LV= launched the initiative after learning of confidence issues affecting older drivers.
In research conducted among motorists aged 65 and over, figures revealed that three quarters (74 per cent) curtail the amount of driving they do once they hit retirement, with more than a fifth (22 per cent) going as far as calling themselves a ‘nervous' driver.
The respondents cited issues such as overcrowded roads (57 per cent), health-related concerns (19 per cent) and the worsening of their eyesight (nine per cent) as the main reasons they felt less confident about driving.
The scenic drive, which starts at Lochgilphead in Argyll and Bute and culminates in the Glencoe Mountains, features dramatic scenery, historic castles and other tourist-friendly attractions.
LV='s top 10 most retirement-friendly roads are:
1. The drive from Lochgilphead to South Ballachulish (A816, A828) on the West Coast of Scotland
2. The A838 from Laxford Bridge to Durness in North Scotland
3. The B4520from Brecon to Builth Wellsin South Wales
4. The A487 from Fishguard to Aberystwyth in West Wales
5. The B3224 from Bishop's Lydeard to Exford in Somerset
6. The A171 from Scarborough to Guisborough in North East England
7. The A616 from Clowne to Smeaton Lakes in the East Midlands
8. The A2 from Portrush to Ballycastle in Northern Ireland
9. The drive from Hillhead to Kingsbridge (A379, A3122, A381) in Devon
10. The B6341 from Elsdon to National Trust Cragside in Northumberland.
Choose from one or more of the options to find the car for you.
Based on your search find the dealership
nearest to you.